Within Starbucks, there are 3 departments where Operators work:
Green Coffee Loading
Green coffee is loaded into the production system. The coffee arrives at this department on pallets. On each pallet there are bags with beans, which are then opened so the beans can pass through sieves to remove dust, sand and twigs. When the beans are labeled as "clean" they may go to the weighing scales, from where the beans go into the roasting machines where the beans are roasted. Because the bags must be emptied, it is important in this department that you have a good physical condition.
The green coffee is roasted to the Starbucks roasting curves. To provide the coffee with its unique taste, there are various systems that monitor this entire process. As Operator within 'Roasting' you are responsible for monitoring all data on various screens from the control room. Are there any deviations to be seen? Then you and your colleagues will set to work to solve this as soon as possible. Because this process and the various programs can not be learned in one day, you will especially in the beginning look along with the other Operators.
The roasted coffee is packaged here for the various Starbucks locations and/or supermarkets. Orders are prepared on pallets, sealed and prepared for shipment using a forklift and reach truck. Because of the light administrative work and working according to order, it is necessary that you can read and write sufficient Dutch.
As an All-round Operator you need to be employable at at least two of the above places and if necessary you will be trained internally (or externally) to be able to work at a third place as well, so you have knowledge of the entire process and you are therefore multi-employable.
Work and responsibilities within the above departments:
- CLEAR COMMUNICATION WITH THE SUPERVISORS ABOUT IRREGULARITIES IN THE MACHINES (BOTH ENGLISH AND DUTCH)
- WORKING ACCORDING TO GMP & HACCP GUIDELINES
- MAINTENANCE OF EQUIPMENT AND CLEANING
- TAKING CARE OF THE PRODUCT ADMINISTRATION, PROCEDURES, FORMS, OPL'S (PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE) AND make sure THESE ARE REVISED/UPDATED
- PERFORMING INSPECTIONS OF INCOMING GOODS
- PERFORMING PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE ON THE ROASTER
- OPERATING THE ADVANCED COFFEE ROASTING SYSTEM (ACRS) ON ROASTING THEORY, ROASTING PARAMETERS.
- OPERATING THE PACKAGING MACHINE, CASE PACKER AND PALLET WRAPPER
- ENSURING PACKAGING AND LABELING MEET QUALITY STANDARDS
- REPLENISHING STOCK OF BOXES, PACKING MATERIALS, PALLETS ETC.
- LOADING AND UNLOADING OF TRAILERS.